Your Experienced Litigation, Real Estate, and Business Law Firm
KELLY A. MYERS received her Bachelor of Arts from Alma College in 1990, where she majored in History and Business with a pre-law emphasis. She also studied at the London School of Economics while attaining her Bachelor of Arts.
In 1993, Ms. Myers received her Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, from the University of Detroit School of Law, and a Master of Business Administration, High Honors, from the University of Detroit. She was Executive Editor of the University of Detroit Law Review, served on the University of Detroit Moot Court Board of Directors and National Entertainment Team, was inducted into the Justice Frank Murphy Honor Society and Order of the Barristers, was elected to serve in the American Inns of Court, and was awarded a Presidential Scholarship.
After receiving her J.D. and M.B.A., Ms. Myers clerked for the Honorable Steven W. Rhodes, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Michigan, and served as an extern for the Honorable George E. Woods, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. Ms. Myers was also an adjunct professor of Legal Writing at the University of Detroit School of Law.
In 2004, Ms. Myers started Myers & Myers, PLLC. Ms. Myers' practice focuses on real estate (transactional and litigation), commercial litigation, corporate law, creditor rights, bankruptcy and banking. Ms. Myers represents national lenders, title companies, real estate licensees, builders/contractors, small business entrepreneurs, mid-sized businesses and associations, including the Small Business Association of Michigan and the Home Builders Association of Livingston County.
Areas of Practice
- Banking and Finance
- Banking and Loan Enforcement Actions
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Formation and Transactions
- Creditor Rights/Creditor Bankruptcy
- Distressed Company Work-Outs
- Real Estate Litigation
- Real Estate Transactions; Commercial and Residential
- Estate and Trust Administration and Litigation
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, Detroit, Michigan
- Juris Doctor
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Moot Court Board of Directors
- Honors: Order of the Barristers
- Honors: Presidential Scholarship
- Honors: American Inns of Court
- Honors: Justice Frank Murphy Honor Society
- University of Detroit, Detroit, MI
- Master of Business Administration - 1993
- Honors: High Honors
- Alma College, Alma, MI
- Bachelor of Arts - 1990
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: History and Business - Pre-Law Emphasis
- Michigan, 1993
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1994
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1996
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2002
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2008-2013
- Adjunct Professor, Legal Writing, University of Detroit School of Law
- Lecturer, "Loan Workout and Collateral Liquidation in Michigan,", Lorman Education Services, 2002 to 2002
- Lecturer, "Selected Topics in Structuring and Operating a Business in Michigan,", Lorman Education Services, 2003 to 2003
- Lecturer, "Professional Retention and Compensation Issues in Business and Consumer Bankruptcy Cases,", American Bankruptcy Institute, 2004 to 2004
- Lecturer, "Litigation Skills Consumer: Valuation, Evidence, Burden of Proof,", American Bankruptcy Institute, 2007 to 2007
- Lecturer, "Real Property: Avoidance and Defenses," Federal Bar Association, W.D. Michigan, 2007 to 2007
- Lecturer, "Lease Purchase: What are the Options?", Home Builders of Livingston County, 2007 to 2007
- Lecturer, "Foreclosure and Leasing Liability", Michigan Association of REALTORS, Broker Summit Conference, 2008 to 2008
- Lecturer, "Earmarking Issues Arising with New Mortgages and the New Bankruptcy Code", Michigan Real Property Law Section of Michigan, "Groundbreaker" Breakfast Roundtable, 2008 to 2008
- Lecturer, "Judgment Enforcement" , Lorman Education Services, 2011 to 2011
- Lecturer, "Legal Issues in Loan Documentation", Michigan Banker's Association, 05/08/2012
- Computer Business World v. Jamil (In re Walter Jamil and Eugene Thomas), 409 B.R. 866, 2009, Bankr. E.D. Mich
- Lim v. Chase Home Finance, LLC, et al. (In re Comps), 334 B.R. 235, 2005, Bankr. E.D. Mich.
- Encore Credit Corp. v. Lim (In re Young), 2007 WL 2221399, 2007, E.D. Mich.
- Chase Manhattan Mortgage Corp. v. Shapiro (In re Lee), 339 B.R. 165, 2006, E.D. Mich.
- Adams Outdoor Advertising v. City of Lansing, 463 Mich. 17, 614 N.W.2d 634, 2000
- Oakland County Treasurer v. Title Office, Inc., 245 Mich. App. 196, 627 N.W.2d 317, 2001
- Meoli v. Heartwell Mortgage Corp., et al. (In re Hoggard), 330 B.R. 595, 2005, Bankr. W.D. Mich.
- Gold v. New Century Mortgage Corp. (In re Salinitro), 355 B.R. 15, 2006, Bankr. E.D. Mich.
- Camacho v. HomEq Servicing Corp. (In re Camacho), 311 B.R. 186, 2004, Bankr. E.D. Mich.
- Kohut v. Wells Fargo Bank (In re Pankey), 2007 WL 2141949, 2007, Bankr. E.D. Mich.
- Lim v. New Century Mortgage (In re Grelik), 2007 WL 1062914, 2007, Bankr. E.D. Mich.
- State Bar of Michigan, Member
- Michigan Land Title Standards Committee, Member
- Livingston County Bar Association, Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Home Builders Association of Livingston County, Board of Directors / Legal Counsel
- Michigan Bankers Association, Member